Made possible by a collaboration between the École normale supérieure, MINES ParisTech, the Observatoire de Paris, the EPHE and the ESPCI Paris, this Master Geosciences “Sciences of the Earth and planets, environment” of the University PSL offers state-of-the-art training in the fields of Earth science, Meteorology, Oceanography, Climate science and Biogeoscience, as well as their applications for Environmental science both on Earth and in Space.
It hosts about 20 students, including ENS students. Enrollment in Master for the year 2022-2023 will be open for the 1st year (M1) and 2nd year (M2) for university students who will be selected based on the provided application materials followed by an oral interview (see calendar page).
The course sets the foundation for the sciences of the planet and provides students with the disciplinary elements that will enable them to move towards top-level research in the specialization of their choice, or to areas of the future industry. It prepares students to tackle key themes such as climate change, the reduction of natural risks, sustainable natural resources and the energy transition.
The master is devoted to:
- students holding a degree in Earth Sciences, Physics or Chemistry
- students who have obtained 180 ECTS from a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent scientific course
- students from PSL’s CPES, ENS Paris, MINES ParisTech, EPHE and ESPCI Paris or other engineering programs wishing to complete their training in the field of geosciences and environment.
The master of Geosciences is associated with the Graduate Program in Earth Sciences and Biodiversity of PSL and seeks to strengthen the links between Geosciences and Biodiversity.
Contact : enseignement (at) geosciences.ens.psl.eu / 01 44 32 22 93
Admission on file is a selective process during which we seek to identify students strongly motivated by geosciences research professions and able to benefit from training at the highest level. We are particularly interested in students who wish to develop original and innovative professional projects in the field of geosciences.
Application for the PSL Geosciences Master
The selection procedure is done in two steps for admission in M1 as well as M2.
1. First step based on the application materials provided
>>>>>> To the admission webpage for the Master1 <<<<<<
>>>>>> To the admission webpage for the Master 2 <<<<<<
The application materials must include:
- A curriculum vitae
- An application letter explaining the candidate’s motivation for undertaking the research and, if possible, describing a research experiment conducted.
- Two letters of reference from teachers or researchers who followed the candidate’s academic performance in higher education and/or during a research internship are required. You will have to provide the name and contact information/
- A copy of the candidate’s academic transcript or quarterly academic performance reports subsequent to the bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent
- A copy of diplomas since the bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent
- In case of an application to a financial support, a letter explaining how obtaining a grant will allow the candidate’s project to be carried out. This letter must also explicit the grants already obtained by the candidate, including grants based on social criteria
2. Second stage of oral presentation and discussion
At the end of the 1st stage evaluations, the selected candidates are contacted for an interview. The objective of the oral examination is to determine the motivation and scientific abilities of the candidates.
Candidates must convince of their desire to acquire training covering broad areas of geosciences, and show how this will help their professional project. They must show that they are curious and that they have sufficient methodological knowledge to follow high-level courses.
Candidates from the L3 geosciences are not subject to this second stage.
This oral will include:
- 15 minutes of oral presentation of the candidate on a research question of his/her choice, in connection with the themes of the formation of the department. This presentation could for example present a scientific problem, its context and its stakes, and present the latest theories or experimental results on this theme. The room in which the audition is held is equipped with a video projection system, allowing powerpoint presentations (or other).
- 15 minutes of questions and discussion with the jury regarding the presentation and any other topic deemed appropriate by the jury to assess the candidate’s motivation and scientific abilities.
This oral could be made with videoconference.
PSL proposes grants that cover the funding of the 2-year master + a PhD. Caution, the applications are open from November 15th 2021 to December 15th 2021.
More information and registration on the dedicated page of the PSL website.
Support to request when applying for a master’s degree
Thanks to the Earth Sciences and Biodiversity graduate program two types of financial support are offered.
These are 2 housing grants amounting to € 1,900 and a master’s grant that could reach € 10,000.
These scholarships are offered to M1 (housing grants only) and M2 (housing & master grants) students, and will be allocated at the 1st application session. Obtaining a scholarship in M1 does not automatically obtain the scholarship in M2.
These scholarships will be awarded on merits. To apply, you must complete the master’s application file with a letter explaining how obtaining a scholarship will allow the candidate’s project to be carried out. This letter must also explain the grants already obtained by the candidate, including grants based on social criteria.
Support for carrying out the research internship abroad
For the compulsory research internship abroad in M1, financial aid may be obtained either with Erasmus or with the Department of Geosciences.