Made possible by a collaboration between the Ecole Normale Supérieure, MINES ParisTech, the Observatoire de Paris, the EPHE and the ESPCI Paris, this NEW Master Geosciences « Sciences of the Earth and planets, environment » of the University PSL offers state-of-the-art training in the fields of Earth science, Meteorology, Oceanography, Climate science and Biogeoscience, as well as their applications for Environmental science both on Earth and in Space.
It will host about 20 students, including ENS students. Enrollment in Master in 2019 is open for the 1st year only (M1) for at least 5 university students who will be selected based on the provided application materials followed by an oral interview.
The course sets the foundation for the sciences of the planet and provides students with the disciplinary elements that will enable them to move towards top-level research in the specialization of their choice, or to areas of the future industry. It prepares students to tackle key themes such as climate change, the reduction of natural risks, sustainable natural resources and the energy transition.
The master is devoted to:
- students holding a degree in Earth Sciences, Physics or Chemistry
- students who have obtained 180 ECTS from a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent scientific course
- students from PSL’s CPES, ENS Paris, MINES ParisTech, EPHE and ESPCI Paris or other engineering programs wishing to complete their training in the field of geosciences and environment.
Link to the brochure of the Master Geosciences, Earth and Planet Sciences, environment
Admission is a selective process in which we seek to identify students who are highly motivated by geoscience research professions and who are able to benefit from training at the highest level. We are particularly interested in students who wish to develop original and innovative professional projects in the field of geosciences.
The selection procedure is done in two steps:
1. First step based on the application materials provided
The application materials must include:
- A curriculum vitae
- An application letter explaining the candidate’s motivation for undertaking the research and, if possible, describing a research experiment conducted.
- The information sheet
- Two letters of reference from teachers or researchers who followed the candidate’s academic performance in higher education and/or during a research internship
- A copy of the candidate’s academic transcript or quarterly academic performance reports subsequent to the bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent
- A copy of diplomas since the bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent
- The Master’s degree in Geosciences STEPE M1 modules preselection form [descriptions of the modules proposed in M1 are available here]
2. Second stage of oral presentation and discussion
At the end of the 1st stage evaluations, the selected candidates are contacted for an interview. The objective of the oral examination is to determine the motivation and scientific abilities of the candidates.
This oral will include:
- 15 minutes of oral presentation of the candidate on a research question of his/her choice, in connection with the themes of the formation of the department. This presentation could for example present a scientific problem, its context and its stakes, and present the latest theories or experimental results on this theme. The room in which the audition is held is equipped with a video projection system, allowing powerpoint presentations (or other).
- 15 minutes of questions and discussion with the jury regarding the presentation and any other topic deemed appropriate by the jury to assess the candidate’s motivation and scientific abilities.
This oral could be made with videoconference.
Schedule of the admission procedure on file 2019
- Send a complete application file from 04 March 2019, and no later than 27 May 2019 by electronic mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Between June 11, 2019 and June 21, 2019: interviews with the selected candidates.
For any question or for additional information, please send by email to: email@example.com